Tuesday, June 25th, 2013
Small businesses are encountering with many challenges while managing their AdWords campaigns. Such small businesses have limited budget, their website is not optimized and also, many people don’t have clear understanding of Google AdWords. I truly believe that you should do your homework before hiring an external help. Let’s have a look on six biggest mistakes, which I have noticed over and over again in adwords accounts of small businesses owners
- Creating one AdWord campaign with one ad group for all targeted keywords- It is a common mistake committed by most of the small businesses. They create the entire campaign with just one ad group and include all their keywords, which surely means waste of time and money. The success of any AdWord campaign relies only on the relevance. There are many such industries who have been using AdWord from last many years. They have set up their campaigns with properly tested messages for each keyword. If you will try to put all your keywords in the same ad group, you will surely lose your business and your rivals will walk away with all qualified clicks.
- Tight budget- Being limited budget is the other concern area to watch out for. It is also an easy thing to correct if you’re a small business man. Campaigns, having ‘limited by budget’, points to a situation when your budget limit is being reached on a somewhat before the midnight. When your budget limit is reached to that point, your ads will be stop showing until midnight when you again reset your budget. Usually, ‘limited by budget’ status is directly related to high positions and a small budget limit. Generally, small businesses owners think that being coming at the top slots is all that important. However, in Adwords, it works in a different manner. When you are a small business, you shouldn’t show much concern towards the visibility. The entire focus should be on the conversions and ROI. You will not get conversions out of visibility. The key point here is clicks. It is important to get as many as clicks out of the initial budget. In case of ‘limited by budget’ campaigns, the campaign stops being shown at midday and you may be visibility somewhere at 4th or 5th position. If you will lower the bidding, your position and CTR (click through rate) will also fall but you will pay less per click. You will not early reached to your budget limit and you will be able to get more clicks as a whole.
- Using only broad match- If you will only use broad match keywords then you’ll end up giving Google more money than you should actually give. Usually, small businessmen don’t know that keywords in Adwords come in different types.
The standard match type is ‘Broad Match’, which lets Google to show anything that they find remotely relevant. A keyword like packers services in Broad Match can show your ads against any of the below queries-
- packers services
- how to avail packers services
- packers and movers services
- packers services for office
- packers services for residential
In order to ensure that you are getting only relevant clicks, you should use Broad Match Modifier instead of Broad Match
- Making frequent changes in the ad campaigns- There are some people who have the habit of making frequent changes in the ad campaigns. However, if you will keep making changes in your adword campaigns, you will never able to generate desired results. By making frequent changes, you will be unable to achieve the statistical significance. However, it does not mean that you should not optimize your account. It is important to optimize your account but making daily changes will not take you anywhere.
- Misappropriate use of conversion tracking- The real problem starts when you implement the conversion tracking code on each web page, including the actual contact form page or another individual page and you mistakenly considered the conversions for real statistics.
- Ads aren’t written to suit adwords format- It is quite a challenging task to write the ads in the Adwords format. Adwords aren’t meant for full sentences. Always write small sentences by judiciously choosing your words.